Wednesday 15 August 2012

Drama Queen

                                                DRAMA QUEEN




The moment I heard of the exciting news about the late Lebo Mathosa's musical production, I cancelled all plans for that Friday night and bought tickets for my better half and I. The opening tickets for the musical were sold out (what else was I expecting). Thank goodness for me I found out that the production produced by Sello Maake Ka-Ngcube will be staged from from the 9 August till  9 September. I decided that seeing the musical early whilst there was still hype and excitement would make me eager to go see it......So I bought tickets for August 10 and made a date with state theatre. I heard and read that the controversial  socialite "Queen of bling" Khanyi Mbau would play the lead actress as Lebo Mathosa, however to my surprise five ladies:  Khanyi Mbau, Ayanda Nhlangothi, Lucia Gumede, Siziwe Ngema and Sindi Nene took centre stage with blonde wigs to emulate the late singer. For some strange odd reason not much publicity or hype circled around the other female actresses and singers......but anyway moving along. Lets not forget the ever so funny actress Chuene who narrated the musical in first person, which really made us connect and get a feel of what Lebo went through. The musical gave us hits from Boom shaka (Thobela), "Free" and many tracks that she released when she was still alive and breathing. Portraying Lebo Mathosa is something not a lot of ladies can do, because there was and will only ever be one Drama Queen, but I have to congratulate Khanyi Mbau  on her dance moves, energy and voice. I never knew that the Queen of bling could belt out such good vocals. And what else can I say except, Sindi Nene DAMNIT THAT LADY CAN SING, for her petite size and frame the power in her voice gave me shivers every time she belted out a tune. The musical got people, including myself singing along and remembering why Lebo was such a star in her own right. The musical went on for three and a half hours and never once did I feel bored or yawned. Well-done to all those dancers who made the musical a success, and to the band that contributed hugely to the success of the show. Seriously from me to you, if your are not doing anything from now till 9 September go out to Pretoria and support our South African Artists who never fail to make us feel Proudly South African.
Sadly I forgot my camera at home....and yes I kicked myself in the a** for it!! 

                    Below are all five singers that portrayed the late Lebo Mathosa







love.pray.laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment